What is Christmas like over there?
Japanese people are very into Christmas. I'm not sure any of them really know what the holiday is actually about, but they love the commercial aspects of the holiday. Department stores play Christmas music, Starbucks has their red cups (of course when I finally got my first cup of Starbucks last week, they were out and I got a regular white cup), and illuminations are everywhere. Illuminations are what Japanese people call their Christmas light displays around town. Some are very simple- a few strings of lights in some of the trees along the streets. Others are much more elaborate. They go up around the end of November and you see them everywhere. Here are a few we've stumbled across:
![]() |
| Pretty blue trees in Toyosu |
![]() |
| A floating tree in Roppongi Hills |
![]() |
| Christmas tree made of recycled bottles in Shinjuku |
This is a harder question. I never saw a Santa in the mall or anything, but I did stumble across this article about a real authorized Santa who is Japanese. So there you have it. Plus, on Christmas day I came across these guys on the sidewalk:
![]() |
| Japanese kids handing out candy on the street |
What do Japanese people eat on Christmas?
My favorite questions, of course. It turns out there is a Christmas dinner tradition in Japan. It doesn't involve turkey. ham, or goose. Although if you are searching for that kind of meal, many restaurants offer traditional western Christmas dinners. If you want to do like the Japanese do, then you eat fried chicken.
When I first heard that it was customary to eat fried chicken on Christmas, I thought my coworkers were pulling my leg. Most of them have lived in Japan for much longer than me, so I'm a pretty easy target when it comes to these things. But it's true. Do you know how I know it's true? CNN. If CNN says it, it must be true. I managed to catch that link just a few days before Christmas. I wanted in on this! Now everyone knows, Popeyes is far superior to KFC. But since Popeyes is about two hours away, we decided to hop on the McDonalds bandwagon. After calling ahead to ensure they wouldn't sell out, we walked the ten minute walk to get our iCon box. Don't ask me why it's called iCon.
| Behold- our 2010 Christmas feast awaits |
| Mega fries, 2 shaka shaka chickens, 2 boxes of strips, 2 boxes of nuggets, sauces and seasonings |
So in the end, we had a very authentic Japanese Christmas meal. It was interesting, but maybe next year we'll start a new tradition. Christmas sushi? Christmas burgers? Who knows?
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas back home! What did YOU eat?




Penny had her share of Christmas goodies: gingerbread men, chocolate covered pretzels, log cake, and more cake!
ReplyDeleteWe ate prime rib, oyster stuffing, rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted butternut squash and turnips, stuffed zucchini (Nina recreated something we ate at the Pasta Plus wine dinner), lightly fried and salted butterflied shrimp (Ping made this new dish), and pasta fagioli soup. For dessert, we had brownies with Breyers ice cream and other sundae toppings (I was too tired to make real fancy desserts). We had lots of leftovers since John wasn't there to help out!!
ReplyDeletei had a korean-esque christmas dinner at richard's mom's house. complete with interrogation about marriage, kids, and religion. 'tis the season. :)
ReplyDeleteOMG I am moving to Japan just to adapt this tradition! Perhaps I can trick my children into one day believing that is a normal Christmas tradition just so I can eat Popeyes.
ReplyDeleteHmmm well done Wang, well done.