Every country has a prestigious school (or two) that's name stirs admiration from everyone. The U.S. has Harvard and Yale. The U.K. has Oxford. For Japan, that school is Tokyo University. Last weekend was Tokyo University's annual open house. Todai, as it's known (not to be confused with that horrible chain of sushi buffets in the U.S.) has quite the reputation for academic excellence. But once a year, all the students let their hair down and just have a good time.
I haven't been to many of these kinds of events, but I had experienced a few
Maryland Days so I had a good idea what this would be all about. I figured each student group or organization would have a table with information about what they do. Maybe they would be passing out pins or pens. There would probably be some performances from music and dance clubs too. I forgot that I was in Japan. What do Japanese people- especially college students- love? Food.
 |
| The Kendo club sold corndogs |
It was a horrible rainy day last Sunday, but that didn't stop the hoards of people from coming to campus to get some cheap food. If the weather had been like this back home, everyone would have just made it a Blockbuster day (Netflix day?). No such thing in Tokyo- people are always out, no matter what. This was evidenced by the crowds of people lined up to take their picture at the famous red entrance gate.
 |
| We pushed our way to the front to grab a quick shot |
Once inside, we were immediately confronted by shouts. "Come and eat our yakitori!" "Don't you want to taste our takoyaki?!" Man, some of those college girls have voices that rival Minnie Mouse's. It's an assault on the ears. But, I digress- back to the food!
 |
| Mini pizzas from the Italian club- what, you don't put seaweed and corn on your pizza? |
 |
| Yummy chick peas and "naan" from a group that had "Namaste" in their name |
We ate so much more: an obligatory grilled scallop (including connective bits), skewered beef (food on a stick is essential at these sorts of things), something that was very reminiscent of taquitos from 7-11, fried potatoes, etc. I love eating this way- a little bit of this and that. What made this excursion even more entertaining were the fun personalities encountered around campus.
 |
| This serious kid was taking down a college student in the game, Othello |
 |
| Tokyo University guys dressed as a maid and a schoolgirl |
The University's campus was much larger that I expected. They had at least 4 stages set up with performances. There were indoor events too. We peaked in at an art exhibit, but I was very disappointed with the paintings. I guess Tokyo University students aren't really known for their artistic abilities. I was equally unimpressed with the singing and dancing happening on most of the stages. It's okay- I'm sure these kids will be the future business and financial leaders of Japan.
So all in all- despite the rainy weather, it was another great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment