Friday, December 16, 2011

Tokyo Motor Show

We went to the Tokyo Motor Show last weekend, along with over 800,000 other people.  It was the first time the event was actually IN Tokyo in years.  Recently, the show had been in a neighboring prefecture, making it much less accessible to Tokyo-ites.  It was also our first time to Tokyo Big Sight, a worthy venue for such an interesting show.

The grand entrance
I kind of hoped all the cars would be in those two upside-down pyramids, but alas- it seems this structure is just for show.  The good stuff was in the building behind.

Here's a surprising tidbit: I'm not that into cars.  But this little excursion was actually MY idea.  I have very fond memories of going to the DC Auto show with my big sis and her then boyfriend (now husband).  I can still remember sitting in a futuristic car they called the Honda del sol.  The roof came off in chunks?  Awesome!  So I thought it would be fun to see what the future had in store, all these years later and on this side of the world.

A new little Honda- check out those wheels!
There were so many people inside, that we actually had a hard time seeing all the cars.  If I didn't know it was a car show, I might have just thought it was huge groups of people standing around holding up their cameras.  Were they interested in the cars, or the booth babes?  I'm still not sure. 

A Minnie-haired chick blocks my view of a funky egg car
This chick waves from high above the cars, in her Nissan Zero Emission... living room?
My favorite chick- dressed in traditional garb with her tiny wooden car and backup tiny ponies
Of course the Chevy display has a non Japanese model- I highly doubt she's American though (on the right)
Okay, so maybe I was a little into the booth babes as well.  I couldn't help it- could you imagine standing there all day just smiling and posing?  Some of them were even on rotating platforms!  Leave it to me to get distracted by the girls.  Sorry about that- back to the fun cars.  As you can see, tiny was the overriding theme here:

Orange also seems to be quite popular- something I'm in favor of!
Audi Samurai Blue and A1 1.4 T (like I know what that means)
And of course, it wouldn't be a Japanese event without a special cameo of a Disney character.  Here he is, complete with headlight stickers:

Lightning McQueen!
In fact, it was quite a kid friendly event.  They had soapbox derby races, toy car play areas, and tons of kiddie giveaways.  I love kids, but man they are loud!  Combine kid squeals, with a hot stuffy showroom, and I get quite cranky.  Just when I was about ready to throw my own temper tantrum, we noticed the sun was setting and decided to to out for a picture.  There were a lot of other people doing the same.  It didn't surprise me- the sky was a beautiful shade of orange and purple.  But then I saw it.  Fujisan!

From the outdoor patio at Tokyo Big Sight.  Just beyond Odaiba's famous Ferris Wheel is Mt. Fuji!
How can I be cranky while looking at that?  What a nice way to end the day.  Just another Sunday adventure in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment