Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Harry Potter- Partu One!

Some things are the same anywhere.  I don't care where in the world I am, I am going to see the new Harry Potter movie on opening day.  In fact, for the past several years I've had the privilege of watching at midnight.  (Dork alert: I feel perfectly at home surrounded by pimply kids who draw lightning bolts on their foreheads and carry around a chopstick as a magic wand.) 

This year, I was not so fortunate.  For one, the movie theaters don't show midnight shows.  How can this be?  The grocery store is 24 hours but I can't watch a movie at midnight??  Because the blasted subway system stops running at 1:00am so all the moviegoers would be stranded until 5:00am when the trains start running again.  Fine by me- just point me in the direction of some fast food and I'm good to go!  But no- this was not an option.  So I had to settle for Friday afternoon instead.

It was worth the wait.  The movie theater was beautiful and there was a STORE selling HP merchandise!

HP merchandise for sale
 The movie was great.  I have some beef with how much was covered and some details that were left out, but this is always the case.  I will say this.  It was odd not watching it at home.  The movie was the same, but the experience wasn't.  We didn't all "ooh" and "ahh" together.  In fact most of the time we just laughed out loud by ourselves while the rest of the audience stayed silent.  Did they not get the jokes?  Is it not okay to react aloud in the theater?  I'm not sure.  The weirdest thing was at the end of the movie; everyone sat through the credits.  I thought, maybe these guys know something I don't- maybe they are going to show something extra!  Not the case.  Just a big waste of about 15 minutes that I'll never get back.  And for what?  I still have no idea.  I guess that's what you do here.

Cultural norms aside, it was a great experience.  I can't wait until Partu Two!

No comments:

Post a Comment