Sunday, January 9, 2011

Engrish

This is the first in what will become a series of posts on this topic.  One thing all English speaking ex-pats enjoy about Japan is all the bad English that is used everywhere.  Store signs, advertisements, and menus are full of fun misused English expressions.  I could create an entire site on this topic, but someone already has!  I was first told about this site years ago.  I think a friend may have even shared it with me in high school.   Click around on it and you'll find lots of hilarious pictures from around the world.  I have been starting my own collection of pictures and I'll share some with you today.  Enjoy!
Do they mean ethical, as in the fish is sustainable?
I was excited to stumble across a bagel place in a train station one day, so naturally I wanted to check out the menu.  What is ethnical tuna?  Is it ethnic?  Maybe that squirt of strange orange sauce makes it ethnic food?
So many things are wrong
This sort of sign is unfortunately very common.  It was outside a sweets shop.  In case you can't read the smaller text, it says, "Our original cream puffs is wrapped in rich pie shell which creates adelicious crisp and crunchy texture."  Way too much English there to get things right.

This is just a small sampling of a few of my favorites so far.  Until next time, let's english!

No comments:

Post a Comment