Friday, January 28, 2011

PSA

I interact with Japanese people everyday.  Usually, they are English students sitting in a tiny room with me for 40 or 80 minutes at a time.  We communicate in simple English, gestures, and laughter.  In the world that exists outside the classroom, I have very limited ways to communicate with Japanese people.  I have a lot I want to say to them, so I've decided to use this blog as a way of expressing myself indirectly.  Consider this Public Service Announcement the first of many.

Dear Men of Tokyo (MOT):
I appreciate your sense of fashion.  Really, I do.  Many of your bags are snazzier and more expensive-looking than any I'd see on the arms of the Real Housewives of DC.  The way you scoff at the gender stereotypes of other places truly impresses me.  But please- why the hair?  I'm all in favor of a little product, don't get me wrong.  But if you have a perm, use a flat iron, or somehow manage to have your hair defy gravity in the exact shape and color of a lion's mane- you've gone too far.  There may be some people who find this attractive, but I'm willing to bet not many.  Up to this point, I've not snapped a direct picture of your foolishness.  I've allowed my fear of embarrassment to get in the way.  But the next time I see you looking at your reflection in the subway window, tossing your too-long bangs out of your eyes?  I'm snapping away.  Trust me, as a recent convert back to my natural hair color, black is beautiful.

Thank you.
Cue music:  The more you know!     

1 comment: