Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

I've been living in Tokyo for almost four months now.  At times, I feel lost about everything.  Things are quite different from what I'm used to.  People walk and drive on the left.  Everyone is skinny and yet I don't ever see anyone eating vegetables.  The cheese-flavored snacks are too sweet!  So many things are different, but different is not always bad.  Case in point- Japanese Valentine's Day. 

Like in other parts of the world, February 14th is just an excuse for businesses to sell chocolate.  Red hearts are everywhere- from the high-end department stores all the way down to the corner convenience stores.  Unlike elsewhere however, Japanese WOMEN buy chocolate for men on this day.  In fact, men often feel sad if they don't receive any chocolate at all.  There are different levels of chocolate too.  You have obligation chocolate that you give to your male coworkers, and love chocolate that you give to your special valentine.  But no matter the level, it is always women giving chocolate to men.  In the days leading up to the 14th, the stores are packed with giggling gangs of teen girls buying fancy imported chocolate.  Department stores have special expos with chocolate from Belgium, France, and Switzerland.  It's impossible not to find chocolate for the men in your life.

So, since we are living in Japan, we decided to follow their traditions.  So what did my lucky valentine request?  Fancy Swiss chocolate with hazelnuts?  Delicate Belgian truffles dusted in cocoa powder?  Not even close.  "Find me some Reeses," he said.  Music to a poor girl's ears!  I'm so lucky to have such an easy-going guy in my life.  Of course, finding Reeses- or any peanut butter chocolate in Japan is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  It didn't exist.  Or at least, I didn't find it anywhere.  Maybe our future trip to Costco outside Tokyo will prove lucky.  In the meantime, he had to settle for Ferrero Rocher and Hershey's kisses with almonds.  Of course, since tend to want more savory than sweet, I also found some Combos, Nacho Cheese Doritios, and microwave popcorn.  Who wouldn't love all that for Valentine's Day?

No fancy five-course dinners.  No bouquets of red roses or huge helium balloons.  Just a bunch of American junk food on this Valentine's day!  So, you may be asking why a red-blooded American girl would so easily give in to this Japanese tradition?  Why should I let HIM have all the fun?  Great question.  Luckily, the Japanese have truly mastered the art of getting people to spend money.  They have White Day on March 14th.  All men who received gifts on Valentine's Day must give that woman a gift on White Day.  And guess what?  It has to be more expensive than what she got him!  I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I read about that in my Japan book!!!
    Sounds like you guys are embracing the culture, I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. try making these:

    http://www.designspongeonline.com/2011/02/small-measures-chocolate-peanut-butter-cups.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun! Too bad you couldn't find any Reese's...those are yummy.

    = )

    ReplyDelete