Now that you are thoroughly horrified in my taste in men, I'll move on to talk about this year's Independence day. As I said, I'm not a big 4th of July gal. But being out of the country has got me feeling quite patriotic all of the sudden. As the holiday approached, I found myself thinking back to last year. We were surrounded by most of our beautiful friends. It was a casual weekend in Solomon's Island. We grilled, we crabbed, we drank- it was so relaxing and nice. That night, we only had to walk half a block outside the house to see the fireworks. Sure, they weren't the most amazing sparklers ever, but it was great. I realized that I don't think a single July 4th had gone by where I hadn't eaten grilled food and seen fireworks of some sort. So this year couldn't be much different- I couldn't let being in Japan affect my American holiday!
![]() |
| My Independence day burger |
They were delicous! You may have noticed that burger is on a small piece of baguette. It turns out they don't sell hamburger buns around these parts. We improvised. You may also notice that tiny slice of tomato is more greenish pink than juicy red. Well, they keep their tomatoes in the fridge here. If you are putting your tomatoes in the fridge back home, please don't ever let me know about it...
Now fireworks are a whole other thing. I know a guy back home who likes to set them off in his Beltsville backyard...not exactly legal. But here, anyone can buy fireworks and set them off where they please. Unless of course, that place has a sign that specifically says "Don't light fireworks here." So where did a few American friends decide to light off their Japanese fireworks? Inside a park that had just such a sign. Hey- we're foreigners, right? We can't be sure to have understood those signs correctly! I took a video of each and every one of those 4 fireworks, but unfortunately I can't upload them here for some reason. No harm though- I'm sure whatever ones you watched back home were much better than these. What did you do? National Mall? Baltimore Harbor? Laurel Lake? Do share so I can feel as though I was there too.

We set off fireworks on the front yard... Penny got scared and Ethan fell asleep!
ReplyDeleteAwwww, I miss it all. Fireworks in SD don't hold a candle to the National Mall. My 4th was a bit of a let down. Played sloshball with friends (its kickball with a keg on 2nd base and a slip n slide between 3rd and home (troy i'm looking in your direction). Then went to some lame party where the burgers were HORRIBLE.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of burgers, my favorite burger here in SD isn't Hodad's or Rocky's or In N Out or any of the new hipster joints... its the lamb burger from Bareback Grill! It is a 'New Zealand' bar.
Lastly we tried to go to a friends house out east on a hill where we could see all of the fireworks. We could see a lot but there were dozens of miles away so they were so small it wasn't worth it. I was pretty disappointed because I'm kinda a big kid when it comes to fireworks.
Oh well... next year.
We must be related! We had lamb burgers too, and some wonderful corn from Spicknalls. We also had grilled shrimp and JK1 and JK2 joined us. Then, they went to go watch the fireworks at the lake, Bella went to sleep, and I stayed home, in the AC, away from those pesky mosquitos!
ReplyDelete