Another example of this can be seen in the festival we stumbled across last Friday.
As we got our tickets to Harry Potter I noticed a row of tents across the street. Did Shinjuku have some sort of farmer's market on Friday afternoons? Maybe it was a flea market? We decided to check it out (after ensuring we got tickets to the 3:20 show of course). As we crossed the street I realized- they were all street vendors! It was tent after tent of glorious street food.
![]() |
| Bags of cotton candy |
Now we have street vendors back in DC. In fact, food trucks are becoming more and more prevalent in and around the city. But this was serious business. No hot dogs or soft pretzels here. I'm talking really good food that sometimes required some pretty specialized equipment. With every few steps I was more and more amazed at the variety of offerings. Unlike DC food trucks where one truck offers multiple menu items, most of these vendors tended to offer one specialty. And they made that one thing REALLY well.
| Skewered and grilled meat |
![]() | ||
| Charcoal roasted fish |
| Spiral cut fried potato dipped in different salts |
| Japanese "pancakes" |
Now, why were all these amazing street vendors here? Just to celebrate food? That's good enough for me. But the further we walked into the maze of tents, we realized there was something else going on. People were carrying these bamboo flower arrangements. They looked like the type of thing you might put on someone's grave. We walked along and came across a surprising sight:
Now, I still don't understand exactly what was happening. But this is definitely some sort of shrine. And that is definitely a long line of people waiting to go inside. I imagine they were there to pay respect to their lost loved ones. I couldn't believe it. Here we were gorging ourselves with fish on a stick, and we came across this seemingly very religious and spiritual event. I felt ashamed. I stopped in my tracks. It didn't seem right! But I looked around and sure enough, there was a guy selling Wii games right next to the darned temple. So I guess it was all okay. I guess Japanese people like to get some good street food on their way to honor the dead. Just another irony I may never understand.
But I don't have to understand. That's what being lost is all about. Sometimes you just have to observe what is happening around you, and accept it. I will say that it was quite beautiful. Past the temple there were stalls selling the flower arrangements. Every time someone bought one, the employees of the stand would do a sort of chant and bang on instruments. I imagine they were thanking their customers and maybe blessing the arrangement to ward off evil spirits. Who knows if I'm right, but I liked the way this sounded.
So after standing there with my mouth open for quite some time, I did what anyone would do. I ate more street food! We found a wonderful little stand in the back that had some stools. We sat down and had some of the simplest food I've ever had. Just one huge prawn and one huge scallop grilled before our eyes. No fancy sauces, no microgreen garnishes. They were amazing. The scallop was perfectly charred on the outside but the inside was still raw. It was the kind of food that makes you close your eyes and make a little noise. So good. They left on all the good bits of connective tissue too- my favorite!
![]() | |
| Scallop in all it's natural glory. No, that is not bacon. |



That street food looks REALLY good! I am very jealous that you ate all that great stuff before seeing Harry Potter! I hope we find those vendors when I come and visit!
ReplyDeleteooh, i went there!! i love how there are so many tasty sweet and salty treats that are only a yen or two. feels like you are getting a hell of a deal just handing over a couple coins.
ReplyDelete