Yesterday was in the mid 60s but quite cloudy and windy- not the best day for a picnic, but we went anyway. After much debate over where to go, we settled on Chidorigafuchi. This park and moat area is outside the northeastern part of the Imperial Palace. It came highly recommended from more than one source, especially for the small rowboats that could be rented for 30 minute intervals. We didn't have one of those blue tarps that everyone seems to have, but we grabbed a bath towel and decided that would do for a picnic blanket.
Are you wondering what amazing spread we prepared for our first hanami? Pasta salads? Deviled eggs? Homemade rice balls? Nope- it was off to the conbini for some cheap food and drink. What a strange assortment we ended up with:
| Sandwiches, maki rolls, and strange Doritos |
While the blossoms themselves are obviously beautiful, I most enjoyed seeing all the Japanese people having a good time. The people I interact with tend to be very restrained. They are hard-working business men and women who don't have a lot of time or patience for fun and games (I know this- I've tried to play games in class). But the blossoms bring out the kid in everyone. As soon as the shoes come off, everyone is sitting on their tarp- eating and laughing. I even saw a few women picking up fallen blossoms and putting them in their hair. The sakura truly represent the spirit of the Japanese people- usually quiet, but bold and beautiful at times. I'm so glad I could enjoy this time of year. We even got a little tipsy off our canned drinks. And those boats? They weren't running them. I guess they had to show some restraint after all.
I'll leave you with a short video of some Japanese people enjoying hanami:

Looks like fun! The sakura looked much better where you were (unlike DC on Saturday for the parade). Glad you went out to celebrate.
ReplyDelete