While the sakura are certainly nice to look at, it's not the only reason to be excited. Japanese people love having hanami parties during this time. Now, I have been to the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC on many occasions. There are tons of people swarming around Pennsylvania Avenue eating noodles out of plastic containers and spending money on origami cranes. Some of them dress up to look "Japanese." It's crowded, crazy, and hardly authentic. I heard this year DC even had the nerve to charge an admission fee. Outrageous. But hanami parties in Tokyo are much different. While there is a long story about how they came about, basically you sit under the trees and drink the day away. Companies send out their lowly interns or junior employees early in the day to reserve spots under the best trees. Later, the rest of the department comes out with their canned drinks and enough food to feed an army. It's a time when people connect with each other in a way that's usually quite uncommon. People have been talking about it for months, and I'm excited to finally be able to participate.
Unfortunately, in light of the recent disaster, many hanami parties won't go on as planned. Apparently officials have told people it isn't appropriate to participate in public drunkenness when there are people who have lost everything. While no one is prohibiting them, many parks aren't going to help facilitate the usual debauchery. I think this is very sad. While the merits of drinking during the workday in public can be debated, hanami is about more than that. From what dozens of Japanese students have shared with me, it's all about national pride. The sakura symbolize the spirit of the people themselves. Despite environmental hardships, these beautiful little blossoms come back year after year. Their beauty is enjoyed for such a short period of time- you have to cherish and celebrate their arrival. I totally dig it. And I think that NOW is when people need to embrace their Japanese pride more than ever.
I'm glad to see that many people are having hanami parties in spite of the recommendations not to. Yesterday, we stumbled across these lovely people in Nishi-Shinjuku:
| Japanese youth enjoy Domino's pizza and beer- just like Americans! |
I love that custom! Can't wait to hear about your hanami party! Here in MD, we're supposed to have 80 degreee weather and I am celebrating by wearing capris to school.
ReplyDelete